The onset of winter does not signal the end of exercise and outdoors activities. There's plenty of skiing and snowboarding available in the Northeast, the American Rockies, across Canada, and even ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 06-12-2017
Summer is a great time to get outside! Whether it's a trip to the pool, hiking a local trail or chilling on the patio with a glass of wine. Unfortunately, most of us spend the majority of our time indoors. Recent studies show that we spend about 83% of our day inside and another 7% of our day commuting to where we need to be. That's a total of 90% of the day indoors!!!! Too much time inside can make us depressed and over stressed. Getting outside is a critical part of your health and well-being.
1) Local Atlanta Hikes. Atlanta is full of hidden gem hikes ITP and just outside the city limits. Check the Chattahoochee's large list of hiking areas, local parks or visit the link below for some good starting points.
2) Go to a Park. There are many pocket parks in the Atlanta area with beautiful trees, playgrounds, and scenery to lounge and soak up the sun. Just a few of our favorites are Murphy-Chandler Park, Mason Mill, Dunwoody Nature Center,
3) Splash Pads for kids and adult fun. Splash pads allow for cooling off and having some fun during the long hot summer days. Check the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in the Children's center, Centennial Olympic Park and local pools
4) Food Truck. Take the family and enjoy a variety of different foods. Check out Brookhaven Blackburn Park on Wednesdays and Thursdays at Dunwoody Brook Run, West Midtown also has a food truck park.
5) Festivals. Take some time to explore Atlanta and all the different neighborhoods for festivals both large and small. Check out the Decatur Beach Party, Concerts at Verizon amphitheatre or Chastain Park
6) Lakes. Everyone can benefit from a lake day! Check out Lake Lanier Islands, Lake Allatoona, Lake Jackson, or Lake Oconee for a close day trip.
7) Rivers and Streams. We are lucky to have the Chattahoochee in our backyard. Enjoy the water by kayak, canoe, boat, paddle board, fishing, or tubing. Morgan Falls(sandy Springs) and Azalea park (Roswell) have kayak and paddle board rentals. Check out Shoot the Hooch for Intown tubing.
8) Outdoor Sports. Get out and enjoy some Baseball, Soccer, Horse back riding, Kickball, or biking. Get a group together or join a local adult recreational league.
9) Create some Outdoor Chill space. You don't need a huge patio or yard(although that does make it nice) to enjoy the outdoors at home. Make a small garden or place a few chairs outside to make a comfortable, inviting place to chill outside with your favorite Rose for a perfect summer day.
What can you do today to make sure a larger percentage of your day is spent outside? Be on the look out for ways to get out and move this summer and reap the benefits of summer sun, fun, and joy.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.